Thursday, November 8, 2007

Finally Home

Dh finally came home about mid-October. It has been a big adjustment. For 15 months I have had only myself to answer to and two kids to nurture. Now after nearly 3 weeks home, we are finally trying to settle into a new routine.

Dad is home - which at times does not work well for the kids. They are not used to having another authority figure in the house. Even though he is the more easy going of the two of us - he at times can lay down the law. I can almost see the thought processes on their faces - well dad said no so lets go ask mom...It is actually kind of amusing.

Husband is home - I am used to picking up and going as I please - trips to Charleston to visit relatives, trips to visit friends, heck running to grocery store without input. However, I guess after 15 months away he is feeling the need to be protective. I has an eye appointment in Raleigh yesterday and for a week I was told I could not go alone. I laughed everytime. Why not? I travelled to Michigan and to South Carolina without him why could I not go two hours up the road alone? Needless to say I had to go alone - but I was on the phone with him a hundred times...Yes I am still okay.

Although there is joy and happiness with your solider coming home....It is also an adjustment period. Taking care of the kids, doing homework, doing chores, driving places have now become a democracy whereas for a year it was a dictatorship. My advice for those who will be in the process of a homecoming - give each other space and try to learn to work together. The last thing a homecoming needs is a fight - no matter who is right.

God Bless!

No comments: